[kdepim-users] No interest was Re: KMail - Replying in HTML

John Murphy murphyjj at bigpond.net.au
Wed Aug 11 03:42:57 BST 2010

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:23:59 am Pastor JW wrote:
> > The `trial balloon' didn't get off the ground.  :)  There doesn't seem
> > to be sufficient interest to fund `KMail - Repling in HTML'
> >
> > Aside from the handful of people who posted here, I heard nothing on
> > `opensuse-kde'  I suppose I can update the previous enhancement with
> > the request for pledges but at this point, I'll call it dead.
>
> I suspect you'll get much more support in this position!  Most people are not
> to fond of their tools being ruined by misuse, ...yes, it IS possible to pry a
> door open with a screwdriver but the screwdriver was designed to turn screws
> rather than what a prybar was designed to do.  It is just the right tool for
> the job concept of a craftsman that one appreciates.

Regrettable - and an example of what I was said originally (with a little editing for sensitivities):

"Great shame.
Marks KMail as an elitist, only-techies-welcome client.
Why this groupthink "HTML is evil" is still around is a mystery.
I did think opensource was about choice - but not in some areas it seems.
Still, I suppose we should be thankful we have basic HTML - and spell-checkers."

And no, I am not demanding anything - just making a comment.
And no, I don't use HTML mail at all (well probably about as much as those that claim they delete important stuff unread).
I just think the facility should be there for those that don't have a choice.

Like many others (who don't post at all) -  when we spot an email client that is not so restricted, and is at least as elegant and integrated into its environment as KMail, we will move on: exercising choice - as I've been advised to do by many on this list.
We have moved on before, and we will move on again.  That's not a aggressive statement, it's a fact of software life.
And many thanks to Pablo, Richard and others for looking for solutions to making KMail (and by extension KDE) more appealing to a wider community.
Unfortunately it seems - good product, wrong mindset - not an unusual combination.
Regards,
johnM