[kdepim-users] Archive of emails

Llewellyn Lee 0834786881 at mtnloaded.co.za
Mon Aug 23 20:28:52 BST 2010

Hi All,

Ingo wrote.

Hmm. Wouldn't it be easier to store the mail on a local IMAP server?
Then you could access the mail from any of the 5 PCs. If you often need
references to old emails then archiving those old emails on external
media doesn't sound like a good idea because it will take several
magnitudes longer to access those archived messages than it would take
to access them if they are still stored on the PC (or the IMAP server).

FWIW, I keep all mail since I started to use mail in KMail. In my sent-
mail folder there's a message from 1998 (!). I am not noticing any
slowdowns due to this.

As I have explained in earlier mail A very small enterprise like mine gets a
lot of mail and sends out a lot of mail.
	I and millions of others like me do not work in any network  we simply have
one desktop. Even someone who has 5 computers (presumably in a network) sees
the need to archive emails to removeable media.
	I do not know what an Imap server is and because it would place my
information in a place outside of my personal control I would prefer to stay
away from such things.
	It seems that for me and several others who have joined this discussion that
being able to archive  to  say (for example) a cd is a highly desireable
feature. When I use the word Archive in this instance I do not mean I want to
compress them etcetc I just want copies with all the attachments and all the
origional information on a cd or dvd  and be able to plug that dvd into the
drive and veiw the emails as I would those that are on the internal hard
drive.

Ingo's point about the extra time it would take to access those externally
stored emails is perhaps valid for some, but do remember these are emails
that we will not look at so very often and when the need arises will check
through our CD's looking for the ones we want.
Without this facility I have all those emails keeping my daily backup bigger
than it needs to be and I am having to print out and file them in the old
fashioned way to reduce what is on the hard drive.

I late last year bought a new computer and the task of getting all those
emails moved onto the new one became a nightmare task.
	Had I had a cd containing all of them  the whole thing would have saved me
hours of struggle because I would have archived the lot and would have simply
copied some current stuff into my new Kmail folders on the new hard drive.

Please Please we need this archive facility.

I will tell you what is also a nightmare. Try transfering the todo and the
calendar and the address book to a new PC.
	When I did the installation of the new Linux to my new PC I had learned a lot
more about the programs and settings and at installation time made vastly
different setting so I could not just load a backup copy straight in. It
turned into a huge task wasting many days to get my system back in order.

Kontact does not have an  export facility for Kontact files although there is
an Import facility for them.

Regards
Llewellyn

dangerous content by Pinpoint, and is