[kdepim-users] Still Akonadi not working...

r bartlett techwritebos at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 11 15:59:39 BST 2010

I have been traveling and haven't been able to follow the issues relating to Akonadi.  I did copy the error message and would love help getting this resolved.  Not sure if this will offer all the info needed.  I am running FC11 with 4.4.1 KDE.  Kernel 2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i686.PAE

I am HOPING that this is what caused all my distribution lists to disappear.  I used to type "travel-list" for example and it would send to a bunch of people I email when traveling...now it sends to "travel-list at myserver" and I have to enter all my friends' addresses in by hand.

Really, I can't help but feel a bit like whatever has gone on between the previous version and the one that installed automatically when I updated my system is a huge leap backwards.  It seems very unstable, unusable in many ways, and frustratingly complex to fix.

Another issue that I have found is that I cannot attach a file when I am accessing the system remotely by ssh.  I run "ssh -X mydomain kontact" to bring up Kontact, but clearly I have to be piping additional things now through ssh to attach a file...it simply brings up a "attach file" window that hangs and never fills in with any files or information...I have to click "Cancel" to return to the email.  A huge frustration, and basically one that makes Kontact less and less usable for my needs.

I've been using Kmail since Redhat 6.2 or something like that, 1999, so it will be with great sadness that I migrate to something else.  But the bottom line is that I need my applications to work, and I need them to be robust and not buggy, and I need to know that I can do the basics (like attach a file!!) without hassle.  I know a lot of hard work goes into each upgrade, but far more than bells and whistles, the basics have to be rock solid and here I just feel like something disastrous happened.  It has been a huge headache, and as I've been traveling for several weeks, I've been unable to devote time to getting it to work.

I really hope there are some simple solutions to getting Kmail and Kontact to work properly again.  Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Akonadi Server Self-Test Report
===============================

Test 1:  SUCCESS
--------

Database driver found.
Details: The QtSQL driver 'QMYSQL' is
required by your current Akonadi server configuration and was found
on your system.

File content of
'/home/user/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc':
[%General]
Driver=QMYSQL
SizeThreshold=4096
ExternalPayload=false

[QMYSQL]
Name=akonadi
User=
Password=
Options="UNIX_SOCKET=/home/user/.local/share/akonadi/db_misc/mysql.socket"
ServerPath=/usr/libexec/mysqld
StartServer=true
Host=

[Debug]
Tracer=null

Test 2:  SUCCESS
--------

MySQL server found.
Details: You currently have configured
Akonadi to use the MySQL server '/usr/libexec/mysqld'.
Make sure you have the MySQL server
installed, set the correct path and ensure you have the necessary
read and execution rights on the server executable. The server
executable is typically called 'mysqld', its locations varies
depending on the distribution.

Test 3:  SUCCESS
--------

MySQL server is executable.
Details: MySQL server found:
/usr/libexec/mysqld  Ver 5.1.44 for redhat-linux-gnu on i386 (Source
distribution)

Test 4:  ERROR
--------

MySQL server log contains errors.
Details: The MySQL server error log
file '<a
href='/home/user/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/mysql.err'>/home/user/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/mysql.err</a>'
contains errors.

File content of
'/home/user/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/mysql.err':
100410 23:11:43 [Note] Plugin
'ndbcluster' is disabled.
100410 23:11:44  InnoDB: Started; log
sequence number 0 1939910
100410 23:11:45 [Warning] Can't open
and lock time zone table: Table 'mysql.time_zone_leap_second' doesn't
exist trying to live without them
100410 23:11:45 [ERROR] Can't open and
lock privilege tables: Table 'mysql.servers' doesn't exist
100410 23:11:45 [Note]
/usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '5.1.44-log'  socket:
'/home/user/.local/share/akonadi/db_misc/mysql.socket'  port: 0
Source distribution

Test 5:  SUCCESS
--------

MySQL server default configuration
found.
Details: The default configuration for
the MySQL server was found and is readable at <a
href='/etc/akonadi/mysql-global.conf'>/etc/akonadi/mysql-global.conf</a>.

File content of
'/etc/akonadi/mysql-global.conf':
#
# Global Akonadi MySQL server settings,
# These settings can be adjusted using
$HOME/.config/akonadi/mysql-local.conf
#
# Based on advice by Kris Köhntopp
<kris at mysql.com>
#
[mysqld]
skip_grant_tables
skip_networking

# strict query parsing/interpretation
# TODO: make Akonadi work with those
settings enabled
#sql_mode=strict_trans_tables,strict_all_tables,strict_error_for_division_by_zero,no_auto_create_user,no_auto_value_on_zero,no_engine_substitution,no_zero_date,no_zero_in_date,only_full_group_by,pipes_as_concat
#sql_mode=strict_trans_tables

# use InnoDB for transactions and
better crash recovery
default_storage_engine=innodb
# case-insensitive table names, avoids
trouble on windows
lower_case_table_names=1
character_set_server=latin1
collation_server=latin1_general_ci
table_cache=200
thread_cache_size=3
log_bin=mysql-bin
expire_logs_days=3
#sync_bin_log=0
# error log file name, relative to
datadir
log_error=mysql.err
log_warnings=2
# log all queries, useful for debugging
but generates an enormous amount of data
#log=mysql.full
# log queries slower than n seconds,
log file name relative to datadir (for debugging only)
#log_slow_queries=mysql.slow
#long_query_time=1
# log queries not using indices, debug
only, disable for production use
#log_queries_not_using_indexes=1
# maximum blob size
max_allowed_packet=32M
max_connections=256
# makes sense when having the same
query multiple times
# makes no sense with prepared
statements and/or transactions
query_cache_type=0
query_cache_size=0

innodb_file_per_table=1
innodb_log_buffer_size=1M
innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=1M
# messure database size and adjust
# SELECT sum(data_length) as bla,
sum(index_length) as blub FROM information_schema.tables WHERE
table_schema not in ("mysql", "information_schema");
innodb_buffer_pool_size=80M
# size of average write burst, keep
Innob_log_waits small, keep Innodb_buffer_pool_wait_free small (see
show global status like "inno%", show global variables)
innodb_log_file_size=8M
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=2

Test 6:  SUCCESS
--------

MySQL server custom configuration
found.
Details: The custom configuration for
the MySQL server was found and is readable at <a
href='/etc/akonadi/mysql-local.conf'>/etc/akonadi/mysql-local.conf</a>

File content of
'/etc/akonadi/mysql-local.conf':

Test 7:  SUCCESS
--------

MySQL server configuration is usable.
Details: The MySQL server configuration
was found at <a
href='/home/user/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf'>/home/user/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf</a>
and is readable.

File content of
[...]

Test 8:  SUCCESS
--------

akonadictl found and usable
Details: The program
'/usr/bin/akonadictl' to control the Akonadi server was found and
could be executed successfully.
Result:
Akonadi 1.3.1

Test 9:  SUCCESS
--------

Akonadi control process registered at
D-Bus.
Details: The Akonadi control process is
registered at D-Bus which typically indicates it is operational.

Test 10:  SUCCESS
--------

Akonadi server process registered at
D-Bus.
Details: The Akonadi server process is
registered at D-Bus which typically indicates it is operational.

Test 11:  ERROR
--------

Nepomuk search service not registered
at D-Bus.
Details: The Nepomuk search service is
not registered at D-Bus which typically means it was not started or
encountered a fatal error during startup.

Test 12:  SKIP
--------

Protocol version check not possible.
Details: Without a connection to the
server it is not possible to check if the protocol version meets the
requirements.

Test 13:  ERROR
--------

No resource agents found.
Details: No resource agents have been
found, Akonadi is not usable without at least one. This usually means
that no resource agents are installed or that there is a setup
problem. The following paths have been searched:
'/usr/share/akonadi/agents'. The XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable
is set to
'/usr/share/kde-settings/kde-profile/default/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share',
make sure this includes all paths where Akonadi agents are installed
to.

Directory listing of
'/usr/share/akonadi/agents':
birthdaysresource.desktop
contactsresource.desktop
icalresource.desktop
imapresource.desktop
kabcresource.desktop
kcalresource.desktop
knutresource.desktop
kolabproxyresource.desktop
localbookmarksresource.desktop
maildirresource.desktop
maildispatcheragent.desktop
mboxresource.desktop
microblog.desktop
mtdummyresource.desktop
nepomukcalendarfeeder.desktop
nepomukcontactfeeder.desktop
nepomukemailfeeder.desktop
nepomuktagresource.desktop
nntpresource.desktop
notesresource.desktop
pop3resource.desktop
vcarddirresource.desktop
vcardresource.desktop

Environment variable XDG_DATA_DIRS is
set to
'/usr/share/kde-settings/kde-profile/default/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share'

Test 14:  SUCCESS
--------

No current Akonadi server error log
found.
Details: The Akonadi server did not
report any errors during its current startup.

Test 15:  ERROR
--------

Previous Akonadi server error log
found.
Details: The Akonadi server did report
error during its previous startup into <a
href='/home/user/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error.old'>/home/user/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error.old</a>.

File content of
'/home/user/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error.old':
Control process died, committing
suicide!
D-Bus session bus went down - quitting
Control process died, committing
suicide!
Failed to remove Unix socket
Failed to remove runtime connection
config file

Test 16:  SUCCESS
--------

No current Akonadi control error log
found.
Details: The Akonadi control process
did not report any errors during its current startup.

Test 17:  ERROR
--------

Previous Akonadi control error log
found.
Details: The Akonadi control process
did report error during its previous startup into <a
href='/home/user/.local/share/akonadi/akonadi_control.error.old'>/home/user/.local/share/akonadi/akonadi_control.error.old</a>.

File content of