[kdepim-users] Sending email hangs Kmail...

r bartlett techwritebos at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 17 21:46:29 BST 2010

I am struggling here.  As of whatever the update was about a month ago, Kmail and Kontact have been barely useable.  One problem is that the Addressbook simply doesn't appear sometimes.  When I need an address, it's just ... blank.  Another issue is that at random times when I click send, the email grays out as if it's going to send and then just hangs.  It's frustrating because I can SEE the email, but I can't select any text in it...Kontact responds, I can move and resize the window, but I can't click inside it...nothing.  I have to kill the process and rewrite the email from scratch (it doesn't send).

I'm really shocked at the vast number of basic issues that have cropped up.  I really don't have time to mess around for days or weeks with trying to set up servers (Akonadi, etc) and certainly don't want to have things hanging right after I've spent 30 minutes writing an email.  That's the whole reason I migrated to Linux from Windows in the first place.  I don't know where to begin to fix these issues.  But clearly I'm not the only one having problems, either.  Addressbooks are disappearing, IMAP is hanging, etc., etc.

Can I downgrade Kmail to a previous version, perhaps?  And if so, what are the steps necessary to do that?

Many thanks.