[kdepim-users] Exporting Birthdays from Kaddressbook resource with konsolekalendar

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun May 17 10:07:55 BST 2009

On Sunday, 2009-05-17, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2009/5/17 Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>:

> > You can use the --allow-gui option.
> > Normally konsolekalendar only accesses file resource because it knows
> > those won't trigger any GUI under any circumstances.
> > Others might not but there is no guarantee, so konsolekalendar ignores
> > them unless the above mentioned option allows them.
>
> Thank you very much, Kevin. I am at the university right now so I
> cannot check, and when I get home it will be for 4 hours of sleep so
> I'd like to avoid experimentation if possible. What would be the
> consequence of using the --allow-gui when Kontact is open?

I don't think having another application open will change anything.
Depending on what kind of resources are configured, they might need additional
programs to be running, but usually they'll start those if required (e.g.
calendar on IMAP requires KMail for the IMAP access)

> Might I corrupt something?

No

> In other words, why is this an option and not the
> default, might it have dire consequences that the user should know of
> beforehand?

My understanding is that the main intent of konsolekalendar is to gain access
to local calendars in a totally non-GUI way, e.g. a headless system, no  X11
forwarding, etc.

The option is basically an extension when the program is being used from
within a desktop session, e.g. as part of some automated task script, in
combination with conversion tools, etc.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring