[kdepim-users] configuring imap in kmail

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 23 19:12:48 GMT 2009

On Monday 23 March 2009 16:38:52 eddie wrote:
> On Monday 23 March 2009 16:20:47 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 23 March 2009 15:48:21 eddie wrote:
> > > Hi
> > > I've just joined the list born out of the frustration of trying to
> > > configure imap in kmail.
> > > My mail directory is called "mail" and lives in my home area. I've
> > > changed the namedspace entry to "~/mail". However, new folders seem to
> > > get created on my home area and not in the subdirectory mail. Does
> > > anyone know how to make kmail behave properly or is this normal
> > > behaviour for kmail?  How do I confine the activities of kmail to the
> > > ~/mail area?  I would be very grateful if someone could give me some
> > > pointer as I find this all very frustrating and somehow I must be
> > > overlooking something somewhere in the documentation.
> >
> > Have you installed an IMAP server?  If not, I'd suggest that you install
> > dovecot.  They have good documentation on the project web pages, so
> > setting it up is fairly straightforward.  You then tell dovecot that
> > ~/mail is where your messages are.
> >
> > How are you actually getting your mail?  Is kmail pulling down from a
> > pop3 server?
>
> Thanks for the speedy response.
> I am connecting to an imap server (http://www.washington.edu/imap/)

Ah - you are not planning to server IMAP mail yourself, but simply to recover
IMAP mail.  That's quite different.  Forget about installing dovecot, then,
you don't need it.  I assume that you are aware that plain IMAP doesn't put
the mail onto your computer - you actually leave the body of the message on
the server.  The alternative is dimap, or disconnected imap, which copies all
the mail onto your computer.  You will have to decide which you need.  If you
only need occasional messages to be available when you are off-line, choose
plain imap and simply copy those messages to your local folder.

> running on opensuse 10.3 (x86-64). On my workstation I have KMail 1.9.10
> (using KDE 3.5.10 "release 21.11") on opensuse 11.1 (x86-64).

Follow Werner's instructions, and it should be all that's needed.  If not,
come back and tell us what happens.

Anne