[kdepim-users] configuring imap in kmail

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Mon Mar 23 17:45:15 GMT 2009

Am Montag, 23. März 2009 schrieb eddie:
> On Monday 23 March 2009 16:20:47 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 23 March 2009 15:48:21 eddie wrote:
> > > Hi
> > > I've just joined the list born out of the frustration of trying
> > > to configure imap in kmail.
> > > My mail directory is called "mail" and lives in my home area.
> > > I've changed the namedspace entry to "~/mail". However, new
> > > folders seem to get created on my home area and not in the
> > > subdirectory mail. Does anyone know how to make kmail behave
> > > properly or is this normal behaviour for kmail?  How do I
> > > confine the activities of kmail to the ~/mail area?  I would be
> > > very grateful if someone could give me some pointer as I find
> > > this all very frustrating and somehow I must be overlooking
> > > something somewhere in the documentation.
> >
> > Have you installed an IMAP server?  If not, I'd suggest that you
> > install dovecot.  They have good documentation on the project web
> > pages, so setting it up is fairly straightforward.  You then tell
> > dovecot that ~/mail is where your messages are.
> >
> > How are you actually getting your mail?  Is kmail pulling down
> > from a pop3 server?
>
> Thanks for the speedy response.
> I am connecting to an imap server (http://www.washington.edu/imap/)
>  running on opensuse 10.3 (x86-64). On my workstation I have KMail
> 1.9.10 (using KDE 3.5.10 "release 21.11") on opensuse 11.1
> (x86-64).

If you can change the imap server please do it. wuimap is not very
good (performance and feature wise). choose dovecot as Anne sugested,
easy to install easy to maintain and ways ahead of uwimap (and if you
want to frustrate yourself try cyrus imap;-) ). I am not sure that
uwimap supports home area.