[kdepim-users] Self signed server certificate and kmail

Spiros Georgaras sng at hellug.gr
Thu Jun 18 19:56:09 BST 2009

On Monday 15 June 2009 Bruce MacArthur wrote:
> On Sunday 14 June 2009 13:34, Spiros Georgaras wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > This is a problem I'm experiencing with kmail (v. 1.11.4) and one of
> > my mail service providers. I have set up kmai to check every 1 min
> > for new messages on this account
> >
> > Some time ago, kmail started popping up this windows with a message:
> >
> > The certificate authority's certificate is invalid
> > The root certificate authority's certificate is not trusted for this
> > purpose The certificate cannot be verified for internal reasons
> >
> > When this happens,  I press "go on" (something like that, it's
> > localized) and then "Accept this certificate forever" or "Accept this
> > certificate for the current session only".
> >
> > No matter what I press, the same window pops up again next time kmail
> > checks for new messages, and I have to do the same thing all over
> > again, which is really annoying...
> >
> > I have already contacted my mail provider (it's a LUG here in Greece)
> > and I was told that this happens because their certificate is a
> > self-signed one
> >
> > My question is: is there a way to make kmail really "accept" this
> > certificate "for ever", and never bother me again with it in the
> > future?
>
> Hello, Spiros --
> This topic is NOT one in which I am "strong" -- but allow me to ask a
> question.  Have you gone to "KMail --> Settings --> Configure KMail -->
> Security --> S/MIME Validation" and reviewed all of your settings?  I
> suspect this might address the specific problem you cite.
> Unfortunately, there is also the possibility that it will merely CHANGE
> your problem -- by allowing things through your security settings that
> you would prefer to keep OUT.  But, perhaps, it is a start!

Hi Bruce,
thanks for the answer. I delayed my reply in order to check its behaviour

I did go to "S/MIME Validation" tab and checked "Do not check certificate
policies" but that did no difference. Don't know what else to check/uncheck
there...

I have noticed though, that the "error" message is first displayed when I send
a message using the account in question, and the it pops up both on
transmission and reception (every 1min that is). Does that mean anything to
you?

--
Regards
  Spiros