[kdepim-users] Self signed server certificate and kmail

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Fri Jun 19 06:34:35 BST 2009

On Thursday 18 June 2009 13:56, Spiros Georgaras wrote:
QA									> On Monday 15 June 2009 Bruce MacArthur wrote:
> > On Sunday 14 June 2009 13:34, Spiros Georgaras wrote:
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > This is a problem I'm experiencing with kmail (v. 1.11.4) and one
> > > of my mail service providers. I have set up kmai to check every 1
> > > min for new messages on this account
> > >
> > > Some time ago, kmail started popping up this windows with a
> > > message:
> > >
> > > The certificate authority's certificate is invalid
> > > The root certificate authority's certificate is not trusted for
> > > this purpose The certificate cannot be verified for internal
> > > reasons
> > >
> > > When this happens,  I press "go on" (something like that, it's
> > > localized) and then "Accept this certificate forever" or "Accept
> > > this certificate for the current session only".
> > >
> > > No matter what I press, the same window pops up again next time
> > > kmail checks for new messages, and I have to do the same thing
> > > all over again, which is really annoying...
> > >
> > > I have already contacted my mail provider (it's a LUG here in
> > > Greece) and I was told that this happens because their
> > > certificate is a self-signed one
> > >
> > > My question is: is there a way to make kmail really "accept" this
> > > certificate "for ever", and never bother me again with it in the
> > > future?
> >
> > Hello, Spiros --
> > This topic is NOT one in which I am "strong" -- but allow me to ask
> > a question.  Have you gone to "KMail --> Settings --> Configure
> > KMail --> Security --> S/MIME Validation" and reviewed all of your
> > settings?  I suspect this might address the specific problem you
> > cite.
> > Unfortunately, there is also the possibility that it will merely
> > CHANGE your problem -- by allowing things through your security
> > settings that you would prefer to keep OUT.  But, perhaps, it is a
> > start!
>
> Hi Bruce,
> thanks for the answer. I delayed my reply in order to check its
> behaviour
>
> I did go to "S/MIME Validation" tab and checked "Do not check
> certificate policies" but that did no difference. Don't know what
> else to check/uncheck there...
>
> I have noticed though, that the "error" message is first displayed
> when I send a message using the account in question, and the it pops
> up both on transmission and reception (every 1min that is). Does that
> mean anything to you?

Hello, Spiros --

Does that mean anything to me?  Yes, it does.  It means that you should
avoid sending E-Mail from that account!!! (I am only joking!!!)

Seriously, now, I do not understand the relevant technical issues well
enough to comment any further.  I wish I could be more helpful, but I
cannot do so just yet.  I also regret that you seem to have had no
other replies.  If anything occurs to me "anyway", I will write again.
Just (as we sometimes say in English) "Don't hold your breath waiting!"

--
布鲁&#26031  麦克阿&#29791
Bruce   Mac Arthur
     bmacasuru at fastmail.us