[kdepim-users] KMail: How to tie identities to accounts?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 5 10:58:10 GMT 2009

On Monday 05 January 2009 02:53:58 skx wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to tie identities to certain accounts, so that whenever I am
> writing under a certain identity the mail will go through a previously
> chosen account. Actually I would even like KMail not to let me change
> that from the editor window to prevent mistakes.
>
> example
> I use separate accounts and identities for "normal" e-mails and mailing
> lists but when I hit send KMail always sends mail using the firs account
> and so the post won't reach subscribers-only list. Everytime I have to
> choose the right account from a drop-down list which is annoying.

The sending account, i.e. whether I use my local smtp or the googlemail smtp,
makes no difference to your mail being accepted on a list, so I presume that
your problem is simply associating identities, as your subject implied.  This
is easy to fix if you separate your incoming mail into folders by list.  For
instance, my mail from this list goes into a folder called kde-pim.

Right-click on the folder concerned, Properties, and there you can set an
identity to use for mail in that folder.  (In some versions you have to un-
check 'Use default identity'.)

That works well for replies.  To ensure that you use it to start a new thread,
open the folder concerned then it Ctrl-N for a new message with the correct
identity already set.

To change that identity you would have to make an effort, so I don't see how
you could do it by accident.  It's worth noting, however, that from a composer
window you can use the View menu to set which field should be visible (and
thus easily changed).

HTH

Anne