[kdepim-users] Fingerprint: where?

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Wed Jan 7 16:19:49 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 06 January 2009 08:04:30 am Kishore wrote:
> I tried what ingo suggested and now the message has changed. It still says
> "not enough information to..." but has changed the details to read "The
> signature is valid, but the key's validity is unknown". Can I fix that?

Depends on what you mean by "fix that".  The message you are now getting is
that the signature matches the key in your key ring, but because that key
isn't signed, gpg presumes that you don't know whether the signer really is
the person he or she purports to be.

For instance, we have never met.  As far as I know, we don't have any
acquaintances who know each other, thereby linking us.  So, using my key, you
know this message is from someone who has consistently identified himself as
Art Alexion.  What you don't know is whether I really am Art Alexion.

You  may want to google "web of trust" and "signing parties" to learn more.