[kdepim-users] New version - goes into full screen mode ?

Peter peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Feb 17 12:46:14 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 23:24:54 Peter wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 February 2009 22:35:23 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Tuesday 17 February 2009, Peter wrote:
> > > I had no idea what Kwin was, checked SPM and see it is "the KDE 4
> > > window manager (KWin)"
> > >
> > > I'm using GNOME desktop. Can I use both at once, or do I have to
> > > uninstall gnome one. I use a mix of gnome and kde apps of course.
> >
> > No, you can keep using GNOME of course. This was mainly an assumption on
> > our side, e.g. that the most likely scenario is KMail in a KDE session.
> >
> > Maybe the cause is a "misunderstanding" between the application and the
> > window manager in their form of communication. Which window manager are
> > you using? Default Metacity or Compiz or something entirely different?
>
> The window manager (GUI) doesn't state what it is. Looked in Synaptic
> package manager, and both Metacity and Compiz are installed; also QT.
>
> Installed 'compiz-kde' as 'compiz-gnome' was already installed.
>
> No doubt I'd have to reboot for any changes to take effect. Will leave this
> now until tomorrow, thanks for your help,

The third post in this thread on Ubuntu forums:

========
 Re: Graphics problem-video-blinking
Jahkob,

Try the following:

On the top tool bar select "System".
Then select "Preferences".
Then select "Appearance"
Then select "Visual Effects"
Then select "NONE"
Then "CLOSE"

This will disable any fancy visual effects for the desktop, but this worked for
me. I tested this with both VLC and Movie Player with DVD and AVI movies, and
it worked like a charm.

This is not a solution but should get you by until a fix can be found.

Regards

did fix this (bug).  Don't know why other apps worked as normal, but KMail
didn't ??

As the poster stated, "This is not a solution but should get you by until a fix
can be found."

At least KMail looks and works 'normally' again.

Thanks to everyone for your help,

Peter