[kdepim-users] Why is KMail so memory-hungry?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Dec 21 11:54:03 GMT 2009

On Friday, 2009-12-18, bill purvis wrote:

> I have been using 'top' to see what is going on, and see that KMail
> uses far more real memory than anything else - typical RSS=180m
> while other 'large' users are taking around 20m.

While top isn't a very reliable tool to measure memory usage (see [1] and
[2]), I checked on my system and I get a value around 69 MB. That's less than
half of what you are getting so maybe it heavily depends on the mail setup?

My mail setup is a couple of POP3 accounts, one normal IMAP and two cached
IMAP accounts.
Total number of messages around 100 000, mostly as maildir folders.

System is Debian Unstable, KMail 1.12.4

[1] http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1445
[2] http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1567

KDE user support, developer mentoring