[kdepim-users] distribution lists in KMail Address Book

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Mon Aug 3 08:13:23 BST 2009

On Sunday 02 August 2009 22:54:53 Louis Hinman wrote:
> I am running KDE 3.5 on Slackware Linux 12.2, KMail Revision 1.7
>  (2004-07-13)

That's a pretty old version, Louis.  I'm writing this from KMail 1.12.0.
Unless someone has a much better memory than I have you may not get a
definitive answer.

>  I find that I can't create a distribution list in the KMail Address Book.
>
>  The interface for building the list from the Address Book seems to work
> fine (and is a pleasure to use) but when I close the Address Book and
> reopen it, the distribution list has disappeared (or else just the last
> addresses that I added).
>
> This looks like a bug to me, but  being new to KDE, I don't want to be too
> quick to say that.  Could I be doing something wrong?  Has anyone else had
> this problem?

I've been using KMail for about 7 years and don't remember seeing this, but I
could be wrong.  Here's what I would do in your situation.

First, make sure that you have installed slocate (I think that would be right
for your distribution.  It became mlocate later).  Then, in a konsole, run
'locate distlists'.  That should tell you exactly where that file exists - it
will be under your home directory.  Later versions don't use this file, but it
should be there for you.  Then when you have located it, run 'cat
path/to/distlists' and you should be able to see what the list contains.  I
don't think you are doing anything wrong, but as I said, I haven't seen this
behaviour as far as I can remember.

Hopefully someone with a longer memory will be able to give a more complete
answer.

In passing - around that time there was a version that lost all your addresses
from time to time.  It's a good idea, therefore, to have a backup of the file.
If it doesn't change often just copy ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc to
~/.kde/share/apps/kabc.sav.  If you anticipate frequently adding addresses
it's probably worth setting up a cron job to keep the backup file up to date.

Anne