[kdepim-users] Any migration to mac possible?

Graham Todd grahamtodd2 at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 10 00:22:18 BST 2009

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 11:54:45 +0200
DennisMail at gmx.net wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am sitting in front of one Kubuntu Hardy and one Mac OS X. Now, I
> am using Kontact to get my mails from quite a few accounts and
> therefor, I created many filter rules (this is the most important
> point).
>
> Now, I am trying to get these mail account settings and the filter
> rules on the Mac. Is there any way? For me, it´s no issue to install
> other mail clients if necessary. The only point is that I want to
> avoid as much "hand work" as possible.
>
> Regards,
> Dennis
The answer depends on whether you have a G4 or G5 Mac, and it depends
on which distro you are using.

Now, Macs which run OS X are limited to G3, G4, and G5 types. G3 and G4
Macs are PowerPC Macs and you need to look for a PPC - compatible
distro.  You can find which are supported at the penguinppc website:
http://penguinppc.org/

With regard to the two most popular distros that are PPC compatible
(Debian and Kubuntu), Debian still supports the PPC architecture (but
make sure you get the KDE version and not Gnome), whereas Kubuntu USED
to support the PPC architecture but stopped doing so (now the Jaunty
distro, I am told, supports PPC.

If you have a G5 type Mac it should support both Intel and PPC
architectures so you should (famous last words) be able to use either
Debian or Kubuntu in its i386 incarnation.  That means you should also
be able to load Mint Linux 6 KDE, but that will simply give you a more
stable version of KDE 4.2.x.

I'm not sure if filters in KMail under KDE 4.2.x or 3.5.x are the same,
but I presume so: certainly KMail is supported by both versions.

HTH

--

Graham Todd