[kdepim-users] kontact addressbook on kmail imap

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Apr 17 21:39:17 BST 2009

On Friday 17 April 2009, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Hallo there
>
> every now and then I try to use my addressbook on my imap server. int
> the old KDE3 days there were major problems with german umlauts, so I
> delyed the use. Now I tried it again.
>
> Usually I let my kontact start automatically at login on my first
> desktop. Without selected imap resources this works as expected. With
> imap addressbook resource kmail is started as single seperate
> application before kontact. If I click on the corresponding mail icon
> within kontact the seperate kmail instance is shown.
>
> If I terminate (ctrl-q) the kmail instance an click on kontacts mail
> icon the embeded kmail instance is startet.
>
> Is there something I can config, that avoids starting the seperate
> kmail instance?

In KDE 3 both, KMail and Kontact, installed desktop files (KMail:
dcopimap.desktop and dcopmail.desktop; Kontact: kontactdcop.desktop)
which added KMail/Kontact as provider for the ServiceTypes
DCOP/ResourceBackend/IMAP and DCOP/Mailer. I think the former
ServiceType is used by the IMAP resource.

In KDE 4 D-Bus replaced DCOP, but there are probably still similar
desktop files. Deleting the desktop files belonging to KMail should fix
your problem. FWIW, I deleted kontactdcop.desktop because I wanted the
opposite behavior.