[kdepim-users] kontact addressbook on kmail imap

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sat Apr 18 10:00:45 BST 2009

Am Freitag, 17. April 2009 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> On Friday 17 April 2009, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> > Hallo there
> >
> > every now and then I try to use my addressbook on my imap server.
> > int the old KDE3 days there were major problems with german
> > umlauts, so I delyed the use. Now I tried it again.
> >
> > Usually I let my kontact start automatically at login on my first
> > desktop. Without selected imap resources this works as expected.
> > With imap addressbook resource kmail is started as single
> > seperate application before kontact. If I click on the
> > corresponding mail icon within kontact the seperate kmail
> > instance is shown.
> >
> > If I terminate (ctrl-q) the kmail instance an click on kontacts
> > mail icon the embeded kmail instance is startet.
> >
> > Is there something I can config, that avoids starting the
> > seperate kmail instance?
>
> In KDE 3 both, KMail and Kontact, installed desktop files (KMail:
> dcopimap.desktop and dcopmail.desktop; Kontact:
> kontactdcop.desktop) which added KMail/Kontact as provider for the
> ServiceTypes DCOP/ResourceBackend/IMAP and DCOP/Mailer. I think the
> former ServiceType is used by the IMAP resource.
>
> In KDE 4 D-Bus replaced DCOP, but there are probably still similar
> desktop files. Deleting the desktop files belonging to KMail should
> fix your problem. FWIW, I deleted kontactdcop.desktop because I
> wanted the opposite behavior.

I found KMail.desktop which defines a ServiceType
DBUS/ResourceBackend/IMAP but no other program defines such a service.
The service itself is defined in dbusimap.desktop but there is no
application defined that uses this service.

It seems to me, that the definition of services and their provider now
is the other way round. Ther is one service definition and the
provider are defined by the application desctop files.

I try to hack the kontact desktop file and check if that changes
anything. If I add this desktop file to my home .kde directory this
new one is used instead of the system wide right? Where do I have to
add the KMail.desktop file to my local .kde directory? My fedora box
uses it under /usr/share/applications/kde4

Thanks so far

Martin