[kdepim-users] Seperate 'sets' of mail boxes

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Nov 19 22:11:08 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 19 November 2008, Peter777 wrote:
> [...]
>
> > You can import your Pegasus email boxes (since I think it's a
> > normal mbox or maildir format).
>
> Yes, Pegasus is mbox.
>
> > The importing tool makes a special folder so it doesn't
> > mess up your folder structure. Then you can drag and drop your
> > folders into the right place. Adding your incoming email accounts
> > and create the right filters and you're done.
>
> Have tested the import a few days ago, it seemed to work just fine,
> going thru new mail (.cnm files), mail folders (.PMM files) and
> address books. I cancelled it after about 30 mins, but it did leave a
> nice structure there, top-level was called 'Pegasus-import' I think,
> and then all the heirarchy was shown under that.
>
> After the import, I created a new mbox folder in KMail, and copied
> all the emails from one folder to the new mbox folder. Then used
> Beyond Compare (an incredible tool and is now on Linux) to match that
> folder to its corresponding .PMM file in Pegasus, and although there
> were extra control lines for each mail, the content matched
> perfectly.
>
> I didn't know you can drag/drop, that is a nice feature.
>
> No doubt filters in KMail can set default identities. If I put _all_
> of my email under one KMail folder structure, I'd want to be able to
> send mail to 'friends' with a different email address, as I use quite
> a few, so if it defaulted, rather than having to manually select the
> identity 9and also the 'send via) that would be good.
>
> > You're talking about sets, but those sets have a relationship
> > because of you. You are for all of them receiving the mail, so one
> > Kmail account is not that unusual. Furthermore, your sets are just
> > like other folders like I explained above.
>
> Okay, you might be starting to convince me. If KMail can handle the
> 'size' and number of emails, and if I'm replying to 'Joe Blow' and he
> is a friend, and KMail will auto set the identity ('from' email
> address is important as I use a few), and also auto set the 'send
> via' , that would be great.  :)
>
> > As already said, Kmail is not designed for multiple "users". Each
> > user at his/her installation has it's own Kmail storage. If you
> > really want completely separated account, you can create different
> > Linux (or whatever you're using) user accounts for them.
>
> Okay, thanks. yes, I don't see the need for me personally, to add
> another Linux user, as I'm the only one that uses it, and when my
> wife sends an email, she just uses the email client I use.
>
> Just to report on the problems I was having with altering the mail
> folder path, and the 'config' file , some testing has shown ..
>
> 1.  Altering the path of the KMail folder
>
> I modified the file kmailrc.
>
> When set to:
>
> folders[$e]=$HOME/Mail/friends/mail
>
> KMail reads from 'friends' folders okay.
>
> When set to:
>
> folders[$e]=$HOME/Mail/friends
>
> KMail does use that path, but all empty folders, and KMail clears

Hmm, the above doesn't make much sense. KMail stores subfolders in the
file system under the name .bla.directory. This explains why KMail did
not handle
  folders[$e]=$HOME/Mail/friends
as you seem to expect. When looking into $HOME/Mail/friends KMail sees
the folder 'mail'. Since 'mail' is a folder, KMail tries to treat it as
Maildir folder. But 'mail' isn't a Maildir folder. Thus KMail ignores
it.

> Therefore, altering the path has to be the same structure as
> $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kmail , that is ..
>
> $HOME/Mail/friends/mail ==  $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kmail

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

> 2.  Testing the 'config' option
> --------------------------------------
>
> KMail does actually seem to open/use another config file. I copied
> kmailrc and called it kmailrc_friends, then ran the following
>
> $ kmail --config /home/username/.kde/share/config/kmailrc_friends
>
> and KMail seems to use BOTH files, but displayed folders from the
> 'std' folder location ( $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kmail ) only. Tested
> this several times, and the datestamp on kmailrc AND kmailrc_friends
> was only 2 to 3 seconds difference, each time I ran the above command
> (it modified both). Once when viewing with Nautilus after closing
> KMail, I did see a file called something like kmailrc_friends.lock
> just briefly, so I have to assume that parsing the 'config' does work
> in one sense, but KMail still uses the folders from kmailrc.
>
> In DOS, we could do something like
>
> kmailrc = kmailrc_friends
>
> is there similar in Linux ? It would have to be a temporary thing,
> not a symlink, just only to be used for the duration of the KMail
> session.

You could do something like the following:
cp kmailrc_friends ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc
kmail --nofork
cp ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc kmailrc_friends

You'd put those three lines in a bash script and create similar files
for your different configurations.