[kdepim-users] Seperate 'sets' of mail boxes

Peter777 peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 19 05:56:12 GMT 2008

Hi,

I will try and catch up on those emails I missed.

> On Sunday 16 November 2008, Ingo wrote:
> The $e indicates that the value of the 'folders' configuration entry has
> to be expanded when it is loaded, i.e. $HOME will be replaced
> by /home/peter777 or whatever your home folder is.

Okay thanks, so if the $e is not there, the path is fully qualified, like

/home/peter777/Mail

> No. KMail stores meta information (i.e. special folder settings) about
> all known folders in its configuration file. Information about
> non-existing folders is deleted. So if you switch between two (or more)
> different mail storages then any special folder settings will be lost.

I was hoping to use the 'config' parameter, to point KMail to a different
config file, for each set of mail boxes.

I can understand that the file kmailrc is for just one set of folders (a
complete set of mail boxes), that is why I started to consider using a
different config file, so that each config file addressed a different set of
mail boxes.

Thanks,

Peter

=======

> On Sunday 16 November 2008, Ingo wrote:
>>On Sunday 16 November 2008, Peter777 wrote:
>> I haven't learnt to drive KMail much yet, but it seems there is no
>> ability to have another complete set of mail boxes, is that correct ?

> That is correct. This feature of Pegasus is undoubtly the result of the
> missing user separation in earlier versions of Windows.

It was even before then, it was when DOS was around, and pegasus was PINE,
Mercury and a few other tools. The ability for different people (say) in an
office to have their own email box. One logged onto/into pegasus as a user,
whilst there were no users as such for the complete (DOS) system.

> Therefore
> Pegasus (and Netscape and many other Windows apps) added some kind of
> poor man's user management. Since KMail was originally developed for
> Unix/Linux systems where user accounts always existed there was no need
> to add some kind of user management to KMail itself.

Yes, okay.

Thanks,

Peter
============

> On Sunday 16 November 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Would it be possible, Ingo, for subfolders to inherit settings from the
> parent?  IOW, My KDE-Lists folder has a number of sub-folders.  Would it be
> possible to have a setting that says 'All sub-folders under this folder use
> the Googlemail account to compose, and local smtp to send?
>
> I know it's not possible now, but it might be a nice feature to have, and I
> think it would answer Peter's needs, too.

The parent settings idea is good, that way all the standard settings for each
mail box could be in the parent ?

Thanks,

Peter
==============

> On Monday 17 November 2008, Ingo wrote:
>> On Monday 17 November 2008, Peter777 wrote:
>> Would this work ?  has anyone else tried to do this sort of thing.

> I have no idea. Until now I didn't even know that there was a --config
> command line option. :-)

Yes, it is there, well it shows under the KMail help. I did try searching the
source files, and did find one perl script that was a few years old, and it
was parsing the config parm as

  -config

> If you want to give it a try, then I suggest you try it with a test user
> account to protect your existing mail boxes.

All the mail is still in Pegasus (using WINE, and it is terrible, not WINE,
but Pegasus under WINE), and the KMail I'm using is for test imports 9seem to
work perfectly), and some emails to this list.

I'd like to actually swap over completely to KMail.

> Please note that apart from kmailrc KMail uses another configuration
> file, emailidentities. This might or might not be a problem since this
> configuration file would be shared. In particular, you'd always have
> all identities available regardless of the used kmailrc.

Hmm, in preference I'd like the identities to stay with each mail box 'set' if
possible, as each identity is only related to _that_ mail box, no others.

> I'm really interested to know whether this actually works. So please
> report back.

1. I can't get the config parm to work, have tried so many different ways.
2.  I can't use the KMail folders/mail in another path, despite having (a)
modified kmailrc to reflect the new folder location, and (b) copying all the
files to the new folder location. All that is displayed is inbox, drafts,
sent, no other folders at all, so it is like KMail is actually looking in a
different path, but not the one I had specified in kmailrc.

Thanks for all your help,

Peter