[kdepim-users] kmail dilemma

Robert Smits labour at telus.net
Wed May 14 23:41:02 BST 2008

On May 14, 2008 01:36:54 pm Mihai Donțu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an interesting (for me) dilemma: I have converted some of my maildir
> folders to mbox (because it took almost 30s to enter them, at times) and
> noticed significant improvement (almost instant access to mails), but after
> I restarted KMail, everything went back to working very slow.
>
> Some folders have ~100000 mails and when I click them, the CPU barely jumps
> to 20-30% usage and after 20-30s, bam! the mails.
>
> Did someone forget a sleep(1) somewhere in the code, or what? :)
>
> Thanks,

Er...can I ask why you keep so many emails in one folder?

If you're archiving them, you can right click on a folder, and set the expire
properties to copy old emails into a separate folder for archive purposes.
This will really speed up access to your mail, I think.

--
Robert Smits CEP525G

Nanaimo, Duncan & District Labour Council
Box 822 Nanaimo, V9R 5N2 Ph 250-753-0201
Fax 250-753-2954 Email labour at telus.net