[kdepim-users] kmail dilemma

Mihai Donțu mihai.dontu at gmail.com
Thu May 15 00:12:06 BST 2008

On Thursday 15 May 2008, Robert Smits wrote:
> On May 14, 2008 01:36:54 pm Mihai Donțu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an interesting (for me) dilemma: I have converted some of my
> > maildir folders to mbox (because it took almost 30s to enter them, at
> > times) and noticed significant improvement (almost instant access to
> > mails), but after I restarted KMail, everything went back to working very
> > slow.
> >
> > Some folders have ~100000 mails and when I click them, the CPU barely
> > jumps to 20-30% usage and after 20-30s, bam! the mails.
> >
> > Did someone forget a sleep(1) somewhere in the code, or what? :)
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> Er...can I ask why you keep so many emails in one folder?

The folder with ~100000 emails, keeps some of the lkml traffic. Some people
reply to emails that are months old and I would like to see the whole thread
(not grep for it in some different folder).

> If you're archiving them, you can right click on a folder, and set the
> expire properties to copy old emails into a separate folder for archive
> purposes. This will really speed up access to your mail, I think.

I don't think the problem is the number of emails, because, like I said, I've
seen KMail in action. It _can_ handle them easily, provided that I don't
restart KMail after the conversion from maildir to mbox :)

--
Mihai Donțu