[kdepim-users] KMail regexp option and problem

Frans Grotepass fmgrotepass at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 08:59:19 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 12 March 2008, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 March 2008, Frans Grotepass wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Hopefully this is the right place for this post.
>
> Almost.
>
> kdepim-users is more appropriate it seems. And for development issues
> the more general development list kde-pim should be used.
>
> I'll move the thread to the kdepim-users list. Please send replies only
> to kdepim-users.

Now the post is at kde-pim, but the listID is still kmail-devel. Sorry
guys, I dug around in kmail to check where I can hack the header, but
nothing was found.

> > I have a few problems and suggestions.
> >
> > First off, the suggestion:
> >
> > When subscribed to some mailing lists, it might be of interest to
> > only read a subset of the mailing list using a regexp filter.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be great if the regexp filter can also be used when
> > browsing the emails in the subset and thus highlight the keywords
> > found on the search? That would really improve high volume mailing
> > list filtering.
>
> Unless you want to filter those messages to a special folder this sounds
> like a use case for virtual/search filters. Currently they do not work
> that good, but that will hopefully change with Akonadi.
>
> Please submit a wish at bugs.kde.org.

I use  a filter to a seperate folder, but there is always unwanted mail
that makes it through the filter. To do a post filtering, it would be
nice if the filtered text is highlighted. That way obscured sections of
interest can be picked out.

I'll add it as a wish to bugs.kde.org

> > Next, the problems I encountered:
> >
> > 1: My kmail 1.9.7 running on a fully up to date KDE3.5.8 Gentoo
> > system fails to access mail on our company Zimbra server using TLS.
>
> Which authentication method are you using? Does it help if you change
> it? In particular, the MD5 methods sometimes cause problems.

As mentioned. The authentication is TLS. The server says at checking
that only TLS is supported with clear text passwords. This
authentication is also used with Evolution and works.With TLS authentication I
get the following error messages:

POP3:
Could not connect to host Your POP3 server claims to support TLS but
negotiation was unsuccessful. You can disable TLS in KDE using the crypto
settings module..
IMAP:
Starting TLS failed.

When set to SSL1
POP3:
IMAP:
Could not connect to host mail.foo.bar.

When set to None
POP3:
Could not login to mail.foo.bar.
The server said: "only valid after entering TLS mode"
IMAP:
LOGIN is disabled by the server.

> Very recently a problem with servers not sending the capabilities
> automatically after starting TLS has been fixed. I'm not sure whether
> this might explain your problem.

In which version was this fixed?

Best regards,

Frans