[kdepim-users] KMail regexp option and problem

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Mar 12 22:32:51 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 12 March 2008, Frans Grotepass wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Hopefully this is the right place for this post.

Almost.

> Please don't slaughter me if it should be posted elsewhere.

We don't slaughter anyone. :-)

kdepim-users is more appropriate it seems. And for development issues
the more general development list kde-pim should be used.

I'll move the thread to the kdepim-users list. Please send replies only
to kdepim-users.

> First a little groping! KMail is awesome! The package is userfriendly
> and works well in most cases.

Thanks. That's good to hear.

> I have a few problems and suggestions.
>
> First off, the suggestion:
>
> When subscribed to some mailing lists, it might be of interest to
> only read a subset of the mailing list using a regexp filter.

Unless you want to filter those messages to a special folder this sounds
like a use case for virtual/search filters. Currently they do not work
that good, but that will hopefully change with Akonadi.

Please submit a wish at bugs.kde.org.

> Next, the problems I encountered:
>
> 1: My kmail 1.9.7 running on a fully up to date KDE3.5.8 Gentoo
> system fails to access mail on our company Zimbra server using TLS
> authentication. Evolution is happy connecting to the server. The
> connection fails on both IMAP and POP connections. Both working in
> Evolution. TLS works with my private mail account on both IMAP and
> POP.
>
> What is required to debug this problem well? Where is the most
> obvious place to search for this problem?

Which authentication method are you using? Does it help if you change
it? In particular, the MD5 methods sometimes cause problems.

Very recently a problem with servers not sending the capabilities
automatically after starting TLS has been fixed. I'm not sure whether
this might explain your problem.

> 2: It is possible to select an identity for replying in each of the
> folders. I have the same email address in two identities (One as a
> pseudonym and one under my real name). The second is selected as the
> sender Identity, but when I reply to a mail, the first is chosen.

Yeah, that's a bug. I have the same setup (same address in two
identities) and I'm also annoyed by this problem. (But obviously not
annoyed enough to actually fix it. *sigh*)