[kdepim-users] gmail / google apps, dIMAP and kontact

Marc Deop i Argemí damnshock at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 18:18:21 GMT 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008, Frank Thieme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently converted to google apps, and I'm still trying to figure out
> what is the best way to use it with kontact.
>
> First thing I did was to unsubscribe the "all mail" folder. Now I can sync
> and read other folders like I did on my other imap server.
>
> But now I have some questions:
>
> 1st
> I tried to use IMAP instead of dIMAP first. Every time I opened a message
> in the inbox, it simply disappeared. I mean it is like open mail, and
> archiving it on the web interface. But it's just unusable in an eMail
> client, isn't it?
>
> Ok, now when I use dIMAP and read eMails, it is just marked as read, but it
> is not archived. Why?

I don't really understand what the problem is, but it might have something to
do with the fact that in dIMAP you have to wait untill the next "sync" to get
your changes done on your client "moved" to the IMAP server

> 2nd
> How do you read eMail?
> I mean in the web interface you just look in your inbox, read the messages,
> and delete or archive them after you read it...
>
> With dIMAP you have them in INBOX and in some folder (if labeled). So if
> you read it in INBOX, it is marked read there, but not in the folders,
> IIRC. Maybe that has something todo as I have to delete the eMails in INBOX
> and the read state isn't synced back?

If your messages are labeled, that means you've got filters. Just check
the "skip the inbox" option whenever you create the filter.

> 3rd
> Now that I use dIMAP the "all mail" folder is just unusable. I have tons of
> eMail and it's just a big unusable folder. So I locally unsubscribed it as
> it is recommended on some websites.
>
> Problem: I cannot see any unlabeled eMail after it is gone from my inbox.
> Maybe I should suggest an "unlabeled" folder in IMAP to googlemail...

Don't get this either. If a message it's gone frome your inbox that means that
is has been labeled or deleted so... you still have it at the correct folder
or the trash.