[kdepim-users] gmail / google apps, dIMAP and kontact

Frank Thieme frank at fthieme.net
Fri Mar 28 11:17:19 GMT 2008

Hi,

I recently converted to google apps, and I'm still trying to figure out what
is the best way to use it with kontact.

First thing I did was to unsubscribe the "all mail" folder. Now I can sync and
read other folders like I did on my other imap server.

But now I have some questions:

1st
I tried to use IMAP instead of dIMAP first. Every time I opened a message in
the inbox, it simply disappeared. I mean it is like open mail, and archiving
it on the web interface. But it's just unusable in an eMail client, isn't it?

Ok, now when I use dIMAP and read eMails, it is just marked as read, but it is
not archived. Why?

2nd
How do you read eMail?
I mean in the web interface you just look in your inbox, read the messages,
and delete or archive them after you read it...

With dIMAP you have them in INBOX and in some folder (if labeled). So if you
read it in INBOX, it is marked read there, but not in the folders, IIRC.
Maybe that has something todo as I have to delete the eMails in INBOX and the
read state isn't synced back?

3rd
Now that I use dIMAP the "all mail" folder is just unusable. I have tons of
eMail and it's just a big unusable folder. So I locally unsubscribed it as it
is recommended on some websites.

Problem: I cannot see any unlabeled eMail after it is gone from my inbox.
Maybe I should suggest an "unlabeled" folder in IMAP to googlemail...

Any ideas for solving these? Any hints what I'm missing?

Cheers, Frank