[kdepim-users] gmail / google apps, dIMAP and kontact

Marc Deop i Argemí damnshock at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 19:07:18 GMT 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008, Frank Thieme wrote:
> On Friday 28 March 2008, Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:
> > On Friday 28 March 2008, Frank Thieme wrote:
> > > 1st
> > > I tried to use IMAP instead of dIMAP first. Every time I opened a
> > > message in the inbox, it simply disappeared. I mean it is like open
> > > mail, and archiving it on the web interface. But it's just unusable in
> > > an eMail client, isn't it?
> > >
> > > Ok, now when I use dIMAP and read eMails, it is just marked as read,
> > > but it is not archived. Why?
> >
> > I don't really understand what the problem is, but it might have
> > something to do with the fact that in dIMAP you have to wait untill the
> > next "sync" to get your changes done on your client "moved" to the IMAP
> > server
>
> There is a different behaviour between IMAP and dIMAP. If you are using
> IMAP than reading a mail (even preview it) will make google think it has
> been archived. So it just disappears from the INBOX.
>
> When using dIMAP it is simply marked read on the next sync - just tried
> that out. I don't know why.

That's the way it should be as that is how dIMAP works

> > > With dIMAP you have them in INBOX and in some folder (if labeled). So
> > > if you read it in INBOX, it is marked read there, but not in the
> > > folders, IIRC. Maybe that has something todo as I have to delete the
> > > eMails in INBOX and the read state isn't synced back?
> >
> > If your messages are labeled, that means you've got filters. Just check
> > the "skip the inbox" option whenever you create the filter.
>
> Yeah, that would be a solution, but actually it's one of the cool things in
> googlemail web interface, that you just look in the inbox, read all new
> eMail there and then say archive and your inbox is (nearly) empty again.
>
> So you can use the folders/labels as archive, but your inbox is mainly for
> new/unread eMail.

What about making a copy of your message to the correct folder/label?

> > Don't get this either. If a message it's gone frome your inbox that means
> > that is has been labeled or deleted so... you still have it at the
> > correct folder or the trash.
>
> Not exactly. That's what makes googlemail different: it can just be
> archived - even unlabeled.
>
> The IMAP INBOX is the same as the INBOX in the web interface. When you have
> eMails that are without any label, and you archive them, they will be gone
> from the inbox, but you can search and find them anytime. If you would
> browse your folders to find them, they are in the "all messages" folder.
>
> So if you don't subscribe that folder in dIMAP those messages are
> practically invisible after they left the INBOX.

Well, one of the really important this for me to use gmail is the fact that I
*CAN* use the client of my choice and not a general web interface which is
featureless.

Anyway, I can't seem to find a solution for your problem here :(

> Hope I made myself clearer this time. English is not my native language ;)

Yeah, you did. Don't worry, it's about comunication, you don't need a perfect
english for that (in fact, mine isn't either ;) )

> Bye...Frank

Bye bye!