[kdepim-users] Understanding kmail imap resources

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sun Mar 23 15:35:35 GMT 2008

Am Sonntag, 23. März 2008 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Sunday 23 March 2008 15:03:38 Martin (KDE) wrote:
> >
> >  I've just quoted the relevant part of the instructions to
> >
> > > the dovecot list, in the hope that someone can guide me in
> > > creating the equivalent.
> >
> > I used this for a test user (because my own imap box has too much
> > mails to test cached imap) and after I had all running with my
> > own mailbox. I don't use a special groupware user for this.
>
> I'll give the dovecot list time and hope that someone there can
> guide me. It's a confusing business :-)  I do hope that I can get
> it working then write up what was needed.  It looks to me as though
> the kde docs are fine if you use exactly that setup, but lacking if
> you don't.  If I can succeed I'll write up the difference for a
> dovecot server.
>
> At the moment I would only be able to add the bit about getting
> sasl working with dovecot and postfix, in place of the cyrus
> instructions.

I read it on the postfix list. But I an realy sure, that the imap
resources have nothing to do with sasl.

> > I don't think that this is a problem with the imapserver. May be
> > it is time to test dovecot imap server.
> >
> > > Meanwhile, for me to think about, can you remember the settings
> > > you gave the wizard?  I presume you gave the IP for the host?
> > > What about the email question?  I gave it
> > > 'groupware at lydgate.lan' - was that right?
> >
> > I gave the hostname of my mailserver (by the way a CentOS 5.1
> > too), my e-mail address, my username and my password (I don't
> > need that on a regular basis because I use kerberos to
> > authentication stuff, but the wizzard forced me to enter the
> > user-password.
>
> So this would be your normal kmail username and password?  I wonder
> what it is expecting for the email address - a local address, I
> presume?  I'm very confused about this.  I know how to use postfix
> transport for local emails, but I'm sure this is something
> different.

Yes, I used my normal kmail username and password. And my normal
mail-address (alas I have a whole domain to chose mail addresses
from, set up with DNS, kerberos, postfix, ldap and all the stuff you
need for a real server).

> > After that I had to change the usernames (because my username
> > does not match my e-mail address) and had to remove the online
> > free and busy stuff (kolab has it, but My server currently
> > don't). Then everything worked fine (besides the encoding stuff).
>
> OK, thanks.  I'll have another go, based on what you've said.

You are wellcome (as I learned from my daughters english lesson).

> Anne

Martin