[kdepim-users] gmail / google apps, dIMAP and kontact

Frank Thieme frank at fthieme.net
Fri Mar 28 18:40:48 GMT 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008, Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:
> On Friday 28 March 2008, Frank Thieme wrote:
> > 1st
> > I tried to use IMAP instead of dIMAP first. Every time I opened a message
> > in the inbox, it simply disappeared. I mean it is like open mail, and
> > archiving it on the web interface. But it's just unusable in an eMail
> > client, isn't it?
> >
> > Ok, now when I use dIMAP and read eMails, it is just marked as read, but
> > it is not archived. Why?
>
> I don't really understand what the problem is, but it might have something
> to do with the fact that in dIMAP you have to wait untill the next "sync"
> to get your changes done on your client "moved" to the IMAP server

There is a different behaviour between IMAP and dIMAP. If you are using IMAP
than reading a mail (even preview it) will make google think it has been
archived. So it just disappears from the INBOX.

When using dIMAP it is simply marked read on the next sync - just tried that
out. I don't know why.

> > With dIMAP you have them in INBOX and in some folder (if labeled). So if
> > you read it in INBOX, it is marked read there, but not in the folders,
> > IIRC. Maybe that has something todo as I have to delete the eMails in
> > INBOX and the read state isn't synced back?
>
> If your messages are labeled, that means you've got filters. Just check
> the "skip the inbox" option whenever you create the filter.

Yeah, that would be a solution, but actually it's one of the cool things in
googlemail web interface, that you just look in the inbox, read all new eMail
there and then say archive and your inbox is (nearly) empty again.

So you can use the folders/labels as archive, but your inbox is mainly for
new/unread eMail.

> Don't get this either. If a message it's gone frome your inbox that means
> that is has been labeled or deleted so... you still have it at the correct
> folder or the trash.

Not exactly. That's what makes googlemail different: it can just be archived -
even unlabeled.

The IMAP INBOX is the same as the INBOX in the web interface. When you have
eMails that are without any label, and you archive them, they will be gone
from the inbox, but you can search and find them anytime. If you would browse
your folders to find them, they are in the "all messages" folder.

So if you don't subscribe that folder in dIMAP those messages are practically
invisible after they left the INBOX.

Hope I made myself clearer this time. English is not my native language ;)

Bye...Frank