[kdepim-users] gmail / google apps, dIMAP and kontact

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Mar 28 21:02:28 GMT 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008, Frank Thieme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently converted to google apps, and I'm still trying to figure
> out what is the best way to use it with kontact.
>
> First thing I did was to unsubscribe the "all mail" folder. Now I can
> sync and read other folders like I did on my other imap server.
>
> But now I have some questions:
>
> 1st
> I tried to use IMAP instead of dIMAP first. Every time I opened a
> message in the inbox, it simply disappeared. I mean it is like open
> mail, and archiving it on the web interface. But it's just unusable
> in an eMail client, isn't it?

That's weird. I wonder what gmail is doing when KMail fetches the
message. It does obviously refuse to deliver the message to KMail, but
instead tells KMail that the message does not exist. Looks like a bug
in the behavior of gmail.

> Ok, now when I use dIMAP and read eMails, it is just marked as read,
> but it is not archived. Why?

Do you mean it is not archived when you sync the next time with gmail?

> 2nd
> How do you read eMail?
> I mean in the web interface you just look in your inbox, read the
> messages, and delete or archive them after you read it...
>
> With dIMAP you have them in INBOX and in some folder (if labeled). So
> if you read it in INBOX, it is marked read there, but not in the
> folders, IIRC. Maybe that has something todo as I have to delete the
> eMails in INBOX and the read state isn't synced back?

For KMail there is no connection between the messages in different
folders. Only gmail knows about this connection. This would only work
if you synced with gmail each time before going to the next folder.

> 3rd
> Now that I use dIMAP the "all mail" folder is just unusable. I have
> tons of eMail and it's just a big unusable folder. So I locally
> unsubscribed it as it is recommended on some websites.
>
> Problem: I cannot see any unlabeled eMail after it is gone from my
> inbox. Maybe I should suggest an "unlabeled" folder in IMAP to
> googlemail...

Sounds like a good idea.

> Any ideas for solving these? Any hints what I'm missing?

No sorry, but to me all of those problems seem to be more problems of
gmail's IMAP implementation than of KMail.

FWIW, I'm using gmail with a normal IMAP account and it works quite well
for me. But then again, I do not have any unlabeled messages.