[kdepim-users] Kontact does not see IMAP changes

Paul Waldo paul at waldoware.com
Wed Mar 5 15:55:44 GMT 2008

Thanks for the reply, Anne.  Responses below.

On Wednesday 05 March 2008 9:30:55 am Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 March 2008 13:45:48 Paul Waldo wrote:
> > On Thursday 21 February 2008 12:23:26 pm Paul Waldo wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm running Kontact 1.2.4 on Kubuntu Gutsy AMD64.  I have a Kontact
> > > IMAP email account on a separate server.  Sometimes I access this
> > > account from Kontact, sometimes from Thunderbird, running on a
> > > different machine.
> > >
> > > When I make message changes with Kontact, say moving a message to
> > > trash, Thunderbird will see the change and update its display
> > > accordingly.  Not so the other way around.  If I drag a message to the
> > > Trash in
> > > Thunderbird, Kontact still shows me the message in my Inbox, even after
> > > a "Check Mail" action.  The only way to have Kontact show the updated
> > > message structure is to restart it.
> > >
> > > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
> > >
> > > Paul
> >
> > Hmm, no takers...  Maybe if I rephrase...
> >
> > When Kontact does a mail check, does it scan only for messages it hasn't
> > seen or does it examine everything in a folder?  If it looks at the
> > entire folder, what, if anything, does it do about removed messages?
> >
> > Would Kontact be smarter about external message changes if this were a
> > disconnected IMAP account?
>
> Paul, I've been away for a few days, so I don't know if anyone has already
> asked you questions.  We need to know a bit more about how you use kmail.
>
> Do you use kmail to pull mail from your ISP, or from a local mail server?
KMail connects to separate IMAP server running Dovecot on my local network

> Do you use mbox or maildir format?
maildir on IMAP server

> What version of kmail?
$ kontact -v
Qt: 3.3.7
KDE: 3.5.8
Kontact: 1.2.4 (enterprise 0.20070907.709405)

$ kmail -v
Qt: 3.3.7
KDE: 3.5.8
KMail: 1.9.6 (enterprise 0.20070907.709405)

> I use a local imap server with maildir, and it behaves exactly as you would
> expect, updating the screen when you cause an action.  The more detail you
> can give us and the better our chance of finding your problem.

Here is a simple scenario:
- Setup both Kontact and Thunderbird to connect to the IMAP server
- In Kontact, drag an email to a different folder.
- Go to Thunderbird.  You can see that the source folder no longer has the
email, and that the destination folder does have the email.  This happens
instantaneously.
- While in Thunderbird, drag an email from one folder to the other.
- Switch to Kontact and look in the source folder.  If the behavior was
similar to Thunderbird, the email would be gone, and in the destination
folder.  It still shows in source folder.
- Perform a mail check.  Message still exists in source folder
- Switch to a different folder then back to original folder.  Message still
exists in source folder.
- Exit Kontact and start again.  Message finally shows up in destination
folder

In the setup I am using, I am at a remote location, outside of the network
where the IMAP server is running.  I use NX to connect to a machine inside my
local network, and this machine is running my KDE desktop (and Kontact).

The Thunderbird application I am using is running on the remote location's
Windows box, connecting directly to the IMAP server.

Hopefully that's enough to go on, but I'd be happy to provide more info.
Thanks in advance!

Paul