[kdepim-users] Kontact does not see IMAP changes

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 5 14:30:55 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 05 March 2008 13:45:48 Paul Waldo wrote:
> On Thursday 21 February 2008 12:23:26 pm Paul Waldo wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm running Kontact 1.2.4 on Kubuntu Gutsy AMD64.  I have a Kontact IMAP
> > email account on a separate server.  Sometimes I access this account from
> > Kontact, sometimes from Thunderbird, running on a different machine.
> >
> > When I make message changes with Kontact, say moving a message to trash,
> > Thunderbird will see the change and update its display accordingly.  Not
> > so the other way around.  If I drag a message to the Trash in
> > Thunderbird, Kontact still shows me the message in my Inbox, even after a
> > "Check Mail" action.  The only way to have Kontact show the updated
> > message structure is to restart it.
> >
> > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
> >
> > Paul
>
> Hmm, no takers...  Maybe if I rephrase...
>
> When Kontact does a mail check, does it scan only for messages it hasn't
> seen or does it examine everything in a folder?  If it looks at the entire
> folder, what, if anything, does it do about removed messages?
>
> Would Kontact be smarter about external message changes if this were a
> disconnected IMAP account?

Paul, I've been away for a few days, so I don't know if anyone has already
asked you questions.  We need to know a bit more about how you use kmail.

Do you use kmail to pull mail from your ISP, or from a local mail server?

Do you use mbox or maildir format?

What version of kmail?

I use a local imap server with maildir, and it behaves exactly as you would
expect, updating the screen when you cause an action.  The more detail you
can give us and the better our chance of finding your problem.

Anne