[kdepim-users] Kaddressbook

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Mar 23 13:43:21 GMT 2008

On Sunday 23 March 2008, Roland Reuß wrote:
> Heidelberg, Sonntag, 23. März 2008, 09:01
>
> Thanks for all the input.
>
> Yes, spelling etc. is since long according to UTF-8, the locales are
> set accordingly.
>
> As I said: The problem is with *existing* data in the addressbook
> (not with such I write new). It occurs only on IMAP transport
> configuration. And I have ca. 4000 addresses in the ab, mainly
> German (with umlauts and sharp s), I don't have the time to correct
> all the missing characters manually. Remember: *All* special
> characters are replaced by the same sequence of two dull
> rectangles, so -> no search and replace.
>
> As Ingo pointed out (and I wrote before), it is a known bug since
> January. What I can’t understand is, that there is already a patch
> (separate) and kaddressbook is behaving correctly in the versions
> for KDE 4.0, but it seems to be unsolvable for 3.5.9 -- we had
> about four or five updates since January, but nothing happens.

I also wrote that Martin's patch has been applied in January. Obviously
it did not fix you problem.

> I wonder
> -- could it be that the developers forgot this issue?

Probably, but it's equally likely that those few developers that are
working on kdepim concentrate on KDE 4 in general and currently on
Akonadi in particular. We do not have enough developers to fix all bugs
in KDE 3.5.

> -- how could I draw their attention to the importance of
> implementing the patch?

The patch has been applied. And it did not seem to help with your
problem. Sorry.