[kdepim-users] mbox folder is an maildir folder

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jun 15 16:02:49 BST 2008

On Sunday 15 June 2008, Michael wrote:
> Hello
>
> I like to export some mails to an other account and though that the
> easiest way would be to create an mbox folder, move the relevant
> mails to this and user the mbox file to import it on the other
> account.
>
> I am using maildir as default. When I create on the to level a new
> folder in kmail and confrim that it should be an mbox format - I see
> no problems.
>
> But when I da an ls -sl on the command line I see the following:
> -rw-------  1 michael users       0 15. Jun 14:30 mboxtest

This is the empty mbox file corresponding to a newly created empty
folder stored in mbox format.

> -rw-------  1 michael users      33 15. Jun 14:30 .mboxtest.index
> -rw-r--r--  1 michael users      33 15. Jun 14:30 .mboxtest.index.ids

Those are index files. You can safely ignore them.

> This does not look like mbox...

Why do you think so? It looks exactly like mbox should look like.

> When I move file to the folder
> mboxtest I can make full use of them within kmail but the is NO mbox
> file with the data..

I don't understand. What does ls -sl show after you have copied/moved a
message to the mboxtest folder?

> I am using Kmail 1.9.9 KDE 3.5.9  -  Was my idea to use mbox to
> export false? And even if so - why is there no mbox file?

If you save messages then they are written to an mbox file. So it might
be easier to simply select the messages you want to export and then
save them.