[kdepim-users] kaddressbook csv export/import do not match

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Tue Jul 22 01:15:56 BST 2008

When I export my contacts to a .CSV file, then remove all contacts,
re-import the same .CSV file and then export that, I get two different
files. Not only are they sorted differently, their content is different.

Why am I doing this you ask?

My address book contains 1894 contacts. At least 783 of those are
duplicates (determined using "uniq -d") which were a result of an import
bug some years ago. I started manually removing duplicates, but that's a
rather large job. Merging two contacts is extremely slow and the screen
redraw then scrolls the list twice. The same behaviour happens for
deleting a contact.

I hit on the idea of exporting all contacts to a CSV, using sort and
uniq, I could then remove the identical contacts and see what was left -
were it not for the behaviour I'm seeing where my import and export are
not identical.

Any comments or suggestions?

This is under Ubuntu Gutsy, with kaddressbook v3.5.6 under KDE 3.5.8.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S31°54'06" - E115°50'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..