[kdepim-users] Help! Sync Palm - KPilot - KOrganizer suddenly stopped working [openSUSE11, KDE 3.5]

homoludens homoludens1000 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 12:51:31 BST 2008

Hi everyone:

I installed openSUSE 11 a couple of weeks ago. Took me
a while to get around to setting up KPilot with my
Palm (= Sony Clie), but to my amazement it worked
PERFECTLY. I had previously used KPilot under Kubuntu,
and it had had a couple of bugs, so I was very, very
pleasantly surprised.

Well, now suddenly and without warning, the whole thing
stopped working yesterday. I have not the faintest
idea why, since I wasn't doing anything out of the
ordinary on SUSE. (I hope it wasn't devine punishment
for me spending some time on Windows over the
weekend!)

I'd really appreciate some help diagnosing the problem
and, perhaps, finding a solution.

SYMTOMS:

The big shock came when all of a sudden my tasks
disappeared after performing a hotsync.
I used the backup created by KPilot to reinstall the
tasks on the handheld, but from here the odd things
began:

1. Tasks, events added on the handheld are not
transfered to the desktop. Instead, they are erased
after performing a second hotsync.

2. Tasks, events added on the desktop are generally not
transfered to the handheld (but do remain on the
desktop.)
In fact, once in a blue moon SOME tasks/events are
transfered, but there doesn't seem to be any clear
characteristic shared among those that would explain
why they are transfered and others not.

WORK ENVIRONMENT:
PDA:
	Sony Clie TJ25
	PalmOS 5.0 (Japanese OS)
DESKTOP:
	Laptop: Panasonic Let's Note CF-Y2
	Kernel: Linux 2.6.25.9-0.2-pae i686
	openSUSE 11.0 (i586)
	KDE:  3.5.9 "release 49.1"
	KOrganizer Version 3.5.9
	KPilot 4.9.4-3510 (elsewhere)
		(sync through ttyUSB0)

Some of my tasks/events contain Japanese characters.
Earlier, that didn't cause any problems, but I'm
wondering whether certain characters/character
combinations can screw up the synchronization process.

Man, I was having the Summer of George with a perfect
KOrganizer - Palm sync, and now I'm back walking on
crutches ... :-(