[kdepim-users] Tanzania Holidays

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Thu Jul 3 14:54:36 BST 2008

At 15:59:05 on Thursday Thursday 03 July 2008, "peter roots"
<peterroots at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I have been trying to put Tanzanian holidays into my calender but have
> run up against a bit of a problem.
> Some of the holidays are fixed date government holidays - no problem.
> Others are Christian - again no problem as easter exists as an entity
> in the holiday files to work with.
> My problem is some of our holidays are Islamic - Eid al-Fitr for
> example falls on 1 Shawwal.  Is there any provision for using dates
> based on the Islamic calender such as the Umm al-Qura Calendar of
> Saudi Arabia that Tanzania apparently bases its holidays on (though
> often a day later than Saudi Arabia).
> Any ideas would be welcome

Like most software intended for general use, kde-pim views the world in
terms of the Gregorian calendar, and this should be no great surprise.
People who need dates that are calculated according to Muslim or Hebrew
(or French-Republican, Armenian, or Mayan) calendar have to make their
own arrangments.

Just as there are utilities for listing holidays for Hebrew calendarin
terms of the Gregorian, I assume that there must be similar ones for the
Muslim calendar (which is, in  fact, a far simpler one). In both cases,
these are usually intended for Windows operating systems of course, so
may not be of much help.

The algorithm for computing Islamic dates against Gregorian is a simple
one; a Google search for "muslim calendar" should enable you to make a
script for conversion, or even to generate a table of holidays for a
given year. I doubt that you will find something to adapt kde-pim, which
seems to be what you are seeking.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on