[kdepim-users] Kmail stops delivering mail after a period of time

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Fri Jan 25 05:14:53 GMT 2008

On Thursday 24 January 2008 23:30, kitts wrote:
> On Friday 25 Jan 2008 6:46:47 am Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> > > A long time ago a similar problem (email stopped arriving via POP3 when
> > > KMail ran for a longer time) was reported. My guess is that some error
> > > condition in the communication with the server leaves KMail in a state
> > > where it thinks it is still checking the account and therefore no new
> > > checks are initiated. AFAIK we were not able to track down and fix this
> > > problem. So the only workaround for people experiencing this problem is
> > > to restart KMail (resp. Kontact) every once in a while.
> >
> > I've noticed this behavior here,  as well,  where my status line will
> > indicate that it's in the middle of checking for new mail,  and just sit
> > there.  For what eventually turns into a rather interminably long time.
> >  I don't recall now whether I had to restart things or whether I was able
> > to simply stop the attempt and get it to try again,  though I'm leaning
> > toward the latter in my recollection.
>
> I have similar issue very often and the latter option has been the
> solution. This has mostly occurred for around my laptop going into suspend.
> i.e. this problem seems to occur mostly when kmail attempts to connect just
> after a resume when a network connection is still to be established. Once
> the network connection is established kmail still does not continue. May be
> the connection times out after a while but my patience is shorter and i
> cancel the connection. Kmail re attempts connection and things work fine
> here on.

That's an interesting point,  as my current use of kmail is indeed on a
laptop.  However,  the battery on this thing is shot,  and I run it off line
power all the time.  I also don't have any doubts about the network
connection as while I'm doing this email I'm also listening to internet radio
through the same network connection,  that particular function taking about
56kbps out of my 768kbps of available download bandwidth on this DSL
connection...

I also,  as far as I can tell,  have all that "suspend" and power management
stuff disabled.

-
M Dakin