[kdepim-users] Strange data loss in Kmail

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 12 08:28:09 GMT 2008

On Monday 11 February 2008 19:00:56 Gölöncsér Attila wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It is funny, that my inbox is filtered automatically, so I can
> download hundreds of mail without any problem, but when try to
> select all the mail (cca 200) in my inbox, and apply all the
> filters (ctrl-j), its crashing over and over.

It seems likely that the problem happen when kmail finds itself trying to do
two things at once.  Say, for instance that it is busily filtering your 200
messages but it is time to check the server - I think that's one condition
that can cause the crash.  I could be wrong, though.

> Not so funny is that some months ago I lost all my whole business
> folder.

Dealing with the problem as soon as you see it will make sure that you never
lose more than one message.

> Can I turn somewhere on to regenerate these indexes at every start
> of kmail? Its a four (but at least two) years old bug, so there
> must be a solution for this.

The problem has been known for a very long time, but no-one can point to the
exact cause, which makes fixing it impossible.  Hopefully, when we get the
akonadi version with KDE 4.1 we will no longer have the problem.

Anne