[kdepim-users] Strange data loss in Kmail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Feb 12 22:25:40 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 12 February 2008, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Monday 11 February 2008, phep wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > happens again.  I have seen it several time, almost always
> > > following a crash. If you are going to bulk process messages as
> > > you described here, I suggest that you break the task into
> > > smaller numbers.  The number of messages that can safely be
> > > processed seems to vary between versions and distros.  I'd
> >
> > Thank you for this piece of information. That explains the huge
> > crash I experimented when I first tried to switch to Kmail, and
> > that's why I asked how to clean Kmail places some days ago ;-). I
> > had no time to make a new try but now I know what I have to look
> > out for when I start again.
> >
> > Do those crashes exhibit when the filters are automatically applied
> > to a huge quantity of messages being popped out of the server ? I
> > mean, I regularly pop several hundreds messages at a time with more
> > than a dozen filters triaging them: is this a crash opportunity of
> > choice ?
>
> Filtering large quantities of incoming mail is uncritical. Only
> manual filtering, moving, copying, etc., large quantities of mail in
> one go tends to make KMail run out of memory and then crash.

I have to make a small correction to my statement. I have recently
manually filtered more than 3000 (spam) messages in an IMAP folder in
one go. The filtering took ages, but KMail did not crash. So maybe what
Anne wrote is more correct, i.e. that concurrently running manual
filtering and mail check are a problem.