[kdepim-users] kontact database mess-up

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Feb 22 21:21:39 GMT 2008

On Friday 22 February 2008, E. Hakan Duran wrote:
> I am trying to use kontact/kmail as my primary software for my
> personal contacts database and e-mailing tool. The problem I have
> with kontact is I think the way it stores the information: the vcf
> files under ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc. I now have 422 contacts stored in
> kontact, about half of which has pictures. Whenever I edit the
> database, such as adding, removing or merging some contacts, the
> contact list becomes "unstable", which means that one has to wait
> before he/she tries to scroll the list up or down. If tried, this
> will cause a "hiccup", which means, no matter how much the list was
> scrolled up or down, it will scroll back to the original point within
> a matter of seconds. If you are unlucky or bold enough to continue
> editing the database before it gets back to its "stable" condition
> (which means the hiccuping ends), then disastrous corruption of
> database is encountered. This means several contacts merged under a
> single name. Is this a known bug? If it is, is there a fix for this?
> If it is completely related to the database structure of kontact
> (which I assume it is), is there any plan to change the way kontact
> stores data, such as sqllite or alike? I would like to continue using
> kontact as my primary contact database, but it really needs to be a
> little bit more stable, which doesn't really seem like a huge deal to
> handle to me.

I suggest trying whether switching from the single file storage to
folder storage (with one file per contact) helps.

Short how-to:
1.) Make a backup of the address book.
2.) Enable the address book view (Settings->Show Extension->Address
Books).
3.) Create a new address book of type Directory.
4.) Select all addresses and then move them to the new address book
(Edit->Move Contact To ...).
5.) Make sure the move was successful by disabling the new address book.
If all contacts were successfully moved to the new address book then
the list of contacts should be empty (because you've disabled the new
address book).
6.) Delete the old address book and re-enable the new address book.
7.) Please report back.