[kdepim-users] kontact database mess-up

E. Hakan Duran ehakanduran at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 00:44:43 GMT 2008

I am trying to use kontact/kmail as my primary software for my personal
contacts database and e-mailing tool. The problem I have with kontact is I
think the way it stores the information: the vcf files under
~/.kde/share/apps/kabc. I now have 422 contacts stored in kontact, about half
of which has pictures. Whenever I edit the database, such as adding, removing
or merging some contacts, the contact list becomes "unstable", which means
that one has to wait before he/she tries to scroll the list up or down. If
tried, this will cause a "hiccup", which means, no matter how much the list
was scrolled up or down, it will scroll back to the original point within a
matter of seconds. If you are unlucky or bold enough to continue editing the
database before it gets back to its "stable" condition (which means the
hiccuping ends), then disastrous corruption of database is encountered. This
means several contacts merged under a single name. Is this a known bug? If it
is, is there a fix for this? If it is completely related to the database
structure of kontact (which I assume it is), is there any plan to change the
way kontact stores data, such as sqllite or alike? I would like to continue
using kontact as my primary contact database, but it really needs to be a
little bit more stable, which doesn't really seem like a huge deal to handle
to me.

I am using Mandriva 2008 powerpack with kde 3.5.7 and kontact 1.9.7.
Unfortunately it is *not* the enterprise version.

Thanks.