[kdepim-users] Kmail with IMAP and Spamassassin: the story continues

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 14 14:19:23 GMT 2008

On Thursday 14 February 2008 13:30:01 Rosalind Mitchell wrote:
> I now have kmail happily running with all mail retrieved from the remote
> sources by fetchmail, handed over to exim4, laundered through spamassassin,
> and returned to exim4 to be distributed to various places in my ~/Maildir
> directory where it can be read by kmail, mutt, and anything else I choose
> to point at it.  Followers of this saga will have noticed that I have done
> some experimenting and reading the friendly manual and ditching procmail,
> which was duplicating what exim4 was already more than capable of, and mbox
> files. Everything is hunky-dory.  Except...

Sounds good, Rosie, except...

Do bear in mind that mbox files get very big and performance suffers greatly
as they grow.

> Spamassassin, which is now running as a dæmon, does a thorough job in its
> little way, and when exim4 gets it back it dutifully files it in an IMAP
> folder called Hormel (so sue me!).  All well and good, but right now
> Spamassassin is being a tad overzealous and lots of sound messages from
> technical mailing lists, notably ruby-talk where non-native-English
> speakers are in a clear majority, are getting delegated to the Hormel
> folder.
>
> My question: is there a convenient way I can 'educate' spamassassin through
> kmail, given that using the usual spam filters doesn't work with IMAP so
> far as I can see?

Not safely.  My recommendation is that you should create a couple of folders
on the server to take the wrongly tagged mail, and manually move them there
until you have a fair-sized batch.  Then run your training on the server from
the command-line.

Anne