[kdepim-users] Kontact keyboard navigation

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 21:10:55 GMT 2008

On 10/02/2008, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > As my ability to manipulate the mouse deteriorates, I'm more and more
>  >  > dependent on the keyboard. Some of the things that I still cannot
>  >  > figure out how to do with the keyboard are:
>  >  >
>  >  > 1) Focus the Kontact search bar. I can in fact Tab over to it, but is
>  >  > there not a key that will focus it? Hitting the Tab key the correct
>  >  > amount of times is not always as easy as it sounds.
>  >
>  > Doesn't the hotkey for this field working for you? Here, using Kontact
>  >  in Portuguese, the search field's label is "Procurar", with an
>  >  underlined "o". So, ALT+O put the focus in this field.
>
>  In Hebrew, there is no underlined letter. I tried ALT with all three
>  letters of the
>  word Search (חפש) but non focused the field. I also tried with S, no do.

I should probably mention. In the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog, CTRL-L is
set (it was the default I think) to clear the Search Bar. However, it
does not clear the Search Bar. I have tried with the focus on an
entry, and I have tried with the focus on the Search Bar. CTRL-L will
not clear it. I'm assuming that if a shortcut will clear the bar, it
will focus the bar as well.

>  >  > 4) In Kalendar, I can't do anything with the keyboard! My most common
>  >  > workflow is simply looking at the week view (7 days). I just need to
>  >  > move back and forward a week. After the Tab leaves the Month||Year
>  >  > back||forward buttons, I have no idea where the focus goes. Nothing
>  >  > on the screen gives any indication, and the arrow keys do not do
>  >  > anything for 7 tabs.
>  >
>  > It goes to the details for the selected event, then goes to the buttons
>  >  of the panel where your calendar resources are shown, then it goes to
>  >  the resources list, then to the events area, then to the status bar and
>  >  after that it goes again to the month/year back/forward buttons. The
>  >  only place where there's no visual indication of where is the focus is
>  >  on the events panel. At the other places there are indications,
>  >  although some are hard to note.
>
> Thanks. For me there is _no_ clue, unless the focus is on the buttons
>  of the calander. I have had three people try to find the ant trails.
>  They not there, but that could be a quirk of the RTL interface. It has
>  many quirks!
>
>  Er, is it known how to move the week forward and back?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.