[kdepim-users] kmail hangs upon sequential logins

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 18 08:45:25 GMT 2008

On Thursday 18 December 2008 00:22:49 Gerardo Mirkin wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I recently configured kmail to retrieve e-mail from three e-mail servers
> using pop accounts from yahoo, gmail and my university servers. I set
> everything up to run behind a firewall (guarddog). Everything seemed ok
> when I configured the first server.
>
> However, after I configured the other two accounts, I found kmail hangs
> after I login into the first account, showing the login screen for the
> second account. When kmail hangs I cannot terminate it calling the kill
> routine either with Ctrl-Alt-Esc or Ctrl-Esc to choose a process.

I doubt if this is in any way connected with the firewall.  My guess is that
you are running out of resources.  It's probably safer, in your situation, to
disable automatic collection and pull in from each source manually.

I don't know where kmail counts its timing from - Ingo? - so I don't know
whether only starting one at login then adding the others one at a time would
spread the load or not.

> The only way I found to override this bug was to cancel all three logins
> upon kmail launch, and then logging in one by one, from the last configured
> account to the first one. If I do the same but try to login from the first
> account to the last account configured, the second account opens
> automatically, and kmail hangs.
>
> Also, I found the following bug (?) trying to send e-mail. I have
> configured three identities, one for each e-mail account. When I try to
> send the e-mail from any of the accounts a popup window appears asking to
> login into the predetermined identity, although it may be not the one I
> want to send the e-mail with. So, I have to got to Preferences > kmail
> configuration > identities, and change the predetermined identity before
> sending the e-mail.

Do you sort mail into folders?  If you need the three sending accounts (are
you sure you do?) you can associate an account with a folder.

> Just for the record, although I don't think it is a system bug, I am
> running kmail on a Pentium II 400 MHz with 192 MB SDRAM using Tuquito
> (Debian-based distro) with kernel 2.6.21-tuquito-r5.

That's quite a bit below what's quoted as minimum requirements.  If you can
live with the speed hit and not use any of the intensive stuff you should be
fine, but you need to think about how to avoid doing more than one thing at
once.

HTH

Anne