[kdepim-users] kmail hangs upon sequential logins

Gerardo Mirkin gamirkin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 00:22:49 GMT 2008

Hello everybody,

I recently configured kmail to retrieve e-mail from three e-mail servers using
pop accounts from yahoo, gmail and my university servers. I set everything up
to run behind a firewall (guarddog). Everything seemed ok when I configured
the first server.

However, after I configured the other two accounts, I found kmail hangs after
I login into the first account, showing the login screen for the second
account. When kmail hangs I cannot terminate it calling the kill routine
either with Ctrl-Alt-Esc or Ctrl-Esc to choose a process.

The only way I found to override this bug was to cancel all three logins upon
kmail launch, and then logging in one by one, from the last configured
account to the first one. If I do the same but try to login from the first
account to the last account configured, the second account opens
automatically, and kmail hangs.

Also, I found the following bug (?) trying to send e-mail. I have configured
three identities, one for each e-mail account. When I try to send the e-mail
from any of the accounts a popup window appears asking to login into the
predetermined identity, although it may be not the one I want to send the
e-mail with. So, I have to got to Preferences > kmail configuration >
identities, and change the predetermined identity before sending the e-mail.

Just for the record, although I don't think it is a system bug, I am
running kmail on a Pentium II 400 MHz with 192 MB SDRAM using Tuquito
(Debian-based distro) with kernel 2.6.21-tuquito-r5.

I would appreciate any help regarding this bug.
Thank you all in advance. Regards,
Gerardo