[kdepim-users] kmail hangs upon sequential logins

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 18 12:01:51 GMT 2008

On Thursday 18 December 2008 11:02:04 you wrote:
> Anne,
> Thank you for your fast reply.
> I will disable automatic collection as you suggest. I cannot fuse all the
> account into one, because I use them for different purposes. I do sort the
> messages coming from different servers to different folders.

Although you can set different identities as sender, for each folder, I think
the ability to associate smtp servers is not available on anything but the
most recent (and maybe even beta) releases, so perhaps we should leave that
idea for the moment.

Do you actually need more than one smtp server?  Most people are totally
unaware of any of the 'background' activity, and you can usually use just one
smtp server for all  your mail accounts.  If it's an ISP's, or the
university's, it will probably need login details configuring, to show that
you have a right to be using the server, but I would expect that you could do
that.

> Besides, the
> university server prohibits to use its pop and smtp configurations to
> retrieve e-mail from webmail servers like yahoo or gmail.

If you want to retrieve your gmail, use gmail's Settings to forward mail to
one of your other accounts, so that it is picked up along with the other mail.
I use gmail for lists because the spambots pick up list addresses and gmail is
quite good at filtering out spam.

> I don't understand what you mean with "I don't know where kmail counts its
> timing from". Is this the time between logins, that can be setup by the
> user? If this is so, I will have to read the user's manual further to setup
> a longer time between logins.

No, I was thinking that if it counts intervals from the last time it picked up
mail, you would only need to manually collect carefully once, after which the
interval checking would work without a problem.  But I don't know whether
kmail does that, or whether it counts the interval from the moment you start
kmail.  You may be able to tell by experimenting with this, particularly if
you have gkrellm or some other disk and cpu activity monitor application
running at the time.  (I wouldn't advise it as a regular thing, as it is yet
another drain on your resources.)

> Last, yes, I know the machine is low on resources but, as far as Kinfo
> shows, memory swap is working fine. I usually run a couple of applications
> at a time without problem, but when I download e-mail I take care to close
> all other apps, except those that are loaded into memory from startup (like
> clamav, guarddog, and those from the system, obviously).
> Besides, what's what you call "intensive stuff". Are these special kmail
> apps?.

I wasn't thinking of anything specific.  Big applications like OpenOffice are
likely to be a big drain, but I was really thinking that by careful monitoring
you would soon learn which applications need to be the only ones running at a
time.

The screenshots of Tuquito show that it is using KDE 3.2.3.  While that's not
the most up-to-date it's not very old, so your hardware is doing well to cope
with it.  Just experiment gently and keep records of what causes you problems.

Good luck!

Anne