[kdepim-users] Any Advice on changing from POP to IMAP ?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 13:36:57 GMT 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Friday 12 December 2008 19:36:04 Robert Smits wrote:
>> I'm using KDE PIM Kontact with Kamail on an opensuse 11 64 bit KDE3
>> system.
>>
>> I've been using POP/SMTP on my Kmail program for years, but my ISP is now
>> offering IMAP. Since I'm using three different computers to get my mail,
>> I'm thinking this might be a good idea.
>>
>> Any comments on the pros and cons of switching from POP/SMTP to IMAP?
>>
> I don't know how you were handling them on your three computers, but there
> will be no more need to 'leave on server' from some boxes and download on
> others.  It's definitely the way to go if you want to access from more
> than
> one place.  I can't think of any downside at all :-)
>
> Anne

The reason I haven't switched to imap is I believe you have to duplicate
every mail on the server in each place you want to use imap.

So if I used imap with my gmail account, my entire gmail history would have
to be downloaded. Also, if I delete a mail through kmail, it would be
deleted on the server too (not archived or anything like that).

Do I have a wrong understanding?

Thanks,

Steve.