[kdepim-users] Any Advice on changing from POP to IMAP ?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Dec 13 12:03:12 GMT 2008

On Saturday 13 December 2008, Manfred Mislik wrote:
> On Samstag 13 Dezember 2008 11:24:29 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > hm,
> > > I can't confirm this - I never had major problems with IMAP,
> > > since earlier kde 3.x versions, whereas DIMAP was less stable, at
> > > least in kde 3.5.x (switched to kde 4.1.3 recently, and had no
> > > problems, since then). maybe the problems you mention are related
> > > to special server incarnations ?
> >
> > I've used IMAP from my dovecot server for 2-3 years and never had a
> > problem either.  However, DIMAP is more problematic (can't say for
> > most recent versions).  My experience seems to agree with your
> > conclusions.
> >
> > Anne
>
> I've been using KMail with IMAP for at least 6 years (that's the
> oldest mails that I still found in any folder) with my courier-imap
> server and in general don't have any problems with it that really are
> mentionable. DIMAP on my notebook (where I not always have internet
> access and still want to be able to read my mails) though caused me
> to rebuild the local cache once or twice because of (probably)
> syncing errors.
>
> So the worst scenario for me was that I just deleted my account in
> kmail and set it up again and everything gets downloaded again
> (remember, it all stays on the server anyway). So, nothing lost.

Some information about the message status (important, replied, etc.) was
lost in the past. Later versions in the KDE 3.5 series store this
status information on the IMAP server (provided the server supports the
necessary feature), so that it is preserved even if one re-creates an
account.

> BUT, this might change with the appearance of Akonadi and Nepomuk
> because then a lot of the history information that gets saved there
> will be lost then if I am not mistaken.

Yes and no. Akonadi will sync all changes back to the server. So on this
side nothing will be lost. OTOH, the information stored with Nepomuk
(e.g. labels) is only stored locally. If one re-creates an account this
information might be lost, but this depends on how the information is
stored in Nepomuk, i.e. how the information is "attached" to the email
messages.