[kdepim-users] Importing e-mails, Firefox and Spellcheck?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 11 09:09:56 BST 2008

On Monday 11 August 2008 04:34, Jeff OHora wrote:
> I'm new to Kontact having been using Thunderbird, but I really needed an
> integrated Calendar.  While I'm not a programmer and frankly not well
> versed in the technical aspects, I can usually find my way around
> directories and do simple editing of settings.  With that in mind ...

Hi, Jeff.  Some of this is speculation, since I haven't done them.

> The 'Import e-mail' was whited out.  Couldn't import my e-mails/folders
> from Thunderbird. How can I fix this problem or move the folders (from
> where to where?)

What I would do is open kmail, then create a subfolder called Tbird, making
sure it is in mbox format (I'm pretty certain Tbird uses mbox).  You then
have to find your mail, which will probably be under
~/.mozilla/profiles/default/goggle-di-gook/whatever.  Once you have located
them you should be able to copy the folder (don't move, just in case you hit
problems) to ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/Tbird.

I could be wrong on the details, but that should give you the basic idea.

If you keep a lot of mail it would be worth your while creating new folders in
maildir format and dragging the mail to them.  maildir is much faster then
mbox for large collections of mail.

> In Kmail I'm unable to figure out how to get the program to use Firefox
> instead of Knoquerer?  I've looked through various settings in Control
> Panel to no avail.

I can't remember exactly where, but it is somewhere very near the top in
kcontrol (I'm away from home and the EeePC doesn't have the complete
kcontrol).  It's on the screen where it asks which application to use for
mail and web browsing.  If you set FF there it should work in kmail too.

> Lastly, Spellcheck gives me this message:
> >>ISpell/Aspell could not be started. Please make sure you have ISpell or
>
> Aspell properly configured and in your PATH.<<
>
> Thanks in advance for all your help!

I remember seeing this in some distros/versions.  I'll have a think about it
and see if I can get back to you with some pointers.  Meanwhile, check that
aspell and/or ispell are installed, and that you have a suitable matching
dictionary.

It might help, too, if you could tell me which distro you are using.

Anne