[kdepim-users] Importing e-mails, Firefox and Spellcheck?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Aug 11 14:44:05 BST 2008

On Monday 11 August 2008, Kishore wrote:
> On Monday 11 Aug 2008 1:59:59 pm Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > In Kmail I'm unable to figure out how to get the program to use
> > > Firefox instead of Knoquerer?  I've looked through various
> > > settings in Control Panel to no avail.
> >
> > Look in KDE Components->Component Chooser. Enter "firefox %u".
> > Note, that this will open all URLs in firefox, even PDF files, etc.
> >
> > So instead of setting the default web browser to firefox you might
> > just want to change the application to use for HTML files. This you
> > can do in KDE Components->File Associations. Look for text/html. If
> > Firefox is installed then it is probably already listed in the list
> > of applications. All you have to do is move is up in the list of
> > apps so that it is preferred over the other apps.
>
> Interesting. Why exactly would a non-web file be opened by a web
> browser?

Well, it would probably not be opened by the web browser. But if you set
firefox as application for handling all http URLs then all files
referenced by an http URL will be passed to firefox (i.e. firefox will
open an empty page) and then firefox will decide what to do with it.

> Looks like kmail defers the mime recognition responsibility
> to the web browser. Should not kmail open the file based on the
> preferred application for the mime type?

Technically KMail does not open any files. This task is handled by the
KDE infrastructure _unless_ you tell KDE to use firefox (or some other
browser) instead.

> Actually that get me thinking... If every file were to be opened
> based on the preferred application for the mime type, why does kde
> need "default applications" anymore?!? Hmmm....
>
> Sorry, that's off topic, but i would interested in knowing why its
> that way!

That's a really good question I don't have an answer to. It does indeed
seem to be redundant.